home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Cool Drink


"Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land." Proverbs 25:25

This picture was taken during spring break. It wasn't a fancy picnic. We didn't even go to the park. The kids wanted a picnic. I just wanted to hang around the house. The car was already a crazy, cluttered mess without all the stuff involved in a picnic/day at the park. Plus it had stormed like absolute crazy the day before and outdoors was a soggy, muddy mess. I convinced them to be happy riding their bikes around our cul-de-sac. I decided to surprise them while they were riding their bikes. Seriously, it was one of the best picnics ever. It doesn't take much. Let me explain.

I've been meditating on this verse for awhile. I love the way it sounds. I love the way it sounds in every single translation of the Bible. The words are pretty to me and they make my heart smile.

This is so true. When I get that unexpected email, pretty card or surprise phone call from a friend I haven't talked with in awhile, I smile. It feels so good to feel loved. It feels so good to know I am on some one's mind. So good.

Isn't this true with our kids also. I have found that mine don't need undivided attention every second of the day. Although I'd love to be able mentally and physically to give them that, it's just not a reality. Sometimes it's the little things that make them feel loved. Just taking a second from the computer, dishes or laundry to look them in the eyes and really listening to what they are saying satisfies them for the moment. I might have a two minute conversation with them listening to their latest accomplishment and telling them how strong and athletic I think they are. I hear them playing together repeating what I've just told them to be true about themselves to their brothers and sisters as I finish my task.

Isn't it like this with the Lord too? As much as I do long for intimate all day long conversation with Jesus, just a word goes a long way. Each time I take time to spend with God, the Holy Spirit whispers to my heart what I already know to be true and I can go about day repeating what he's said, engraving it on my mind and heart.

I'm wired just like my kids, I'm his kid, a word from the Lord, a thoughtful gesture from him carries me a long way. Especially when I need it most.



So remember it doesn't have to take a long time, involve deep conversation or be fancy at all to be a special gift of encouragement to one who may really need it.


"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11


2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I love you.

I love your heart,

and I love that I got to talk to you yesterday and you didn't think I was crazy when I pulled up to the wrong store...you understood, that is love!!!

Josh & Tiffany said...

Lisa,
You could do a shorter hair cut with lots of layers, but that way you can still keep length , but give it a bit more style... I have a chi flat iron and I still have to touch it up every day, especially if I put my hair in a pony tail... but my hair is REALLY curly!!!! Josh loves my hair and I have gotten a lot of compliments since I cut it. I asked him if it was ok before I did it tho.... he is used to me always changing the color tho too... its the profession!