home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Quirky, Quirky Me

I am supposed to be writing about six of my quirks because Amy tagged me with some MEME thingie. Does it bother anyone else that I just put that in this post and I have no idea what it means? I am saying up front that if you are one of the six people who read this blog, consider yourself tagged. (I will link you ,call you by name and comment on your blogs later. So surprise me and post your quirks before I get there. Go ahead, take the challenge!)

Here are the rules:
(1) Link to the person that tagged you.
(2) Post the rules on your blog.
(3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
(4) Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. (I tag Lisa, Amy #2, Beth, Kerri, & Brian.)
(5) Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

1. First quirky that has dogged me and bugged me for two weeks is that I can't write a single thing on this blog that hasn't been written, rewritten and polished in my head at least fifty times. I wish I talked and re-talked in my head before I spoke!

2. Second quirk is that I am constantly rearranging and fixing things. These things include accessories to an outfit, like changing a necklace or my shoes four times a day, knick knacks on my shelves and pillows or throws on my sofa and clothes in my closet.

3. I pick my fingernails whenever I am sitting down with nothing for my hands to do. Andrew is always stopping me in church and in meetings.

4. I wish I could have a nursing newborn forever. Half of you just gagged and half of you just shed a tear because you understand.

5. I can't learn the rules to football no matter how hard I try. If I happen to learn anything beyond touchdown, field goal and sacking the quarterback, I will instantaneously combust, forget it and then begin asking Andrew the same questions all over again.

6. I always throw up. See post from two weeks ago for proof. Ask ten girls in the back of a limousine coming home from the Hannah Montana 3D movie (which really made you feel like you were there but with crazy nausea-inducing depth perception). Those are only this month's examples that continue to reinforce to Andrew why I am not excited about the prospect of a dream cruise...even to Disney!

I probably have more quirky quirks like the fact that I had to wean myself from an addiction to People magazine or the fact that I genuinely care about what happens to Britney's babies even though it bugs me when other people act like TV celebrities are their friends. One topic of discussion today over coffee with my Korean friends was the Korean couple on Lost, Jin and Sun. Did you know that "Sun" is a famous and popular movie star in Korea and "Jin" is disliked by Koreans because he does not speak authentic Korean and is handsome by American standards but not Korean?


I probably have more annoying quirks like how I always want a bite of Andrew's food or a drink of his drink when he fixed himself the "perfect" Andrew-sized portion. Except for when he orders extra. Then I politely decline stating that I'm on a diet and he overeats because he can't stand to leave it on his plate or in his cup. Or the fact that I hate to leave one or two cookies in the box or a handful of chips in the bag. I like my pantry neat. Don't look at the pictures in the Lost post. They do not support this fact. The neat fact not the mostly empty container fact. If you have a toddler or two, just one cookie is a highly coveted snack. There was one time not too long ago my whole pantry and refrigerator contained baggies of small amounts of food. Annoying, but true.


I know I have weirder quirks like the fact that I have worn the same robe for nine years despite the fact that I have a drawer full of newer ones. This robe is special. My mom bought it for me to wear in the hospital when I was pregnant with Julia. I started wearing the day I got it during my pregnancy and have worn through four pregnancies. I am still wearing it. I am always upset when it is in the wash and hasn't made it through the dryer in the same day. I love this robe. I love the length, the weight (that is fading rather quickly these days), the pockets (that have both torn off from four children pulling on them) and the color (pink but is now faded to almost white). If I could find another perfect robe I would retire this one but some things are rather hard to find. I could totally retire it for the right chenille leopard robe though.


I probably have funnier quirks. If you think of them, feel free to comment. I know Amy is already thinking about how I don't know how to open a box of cereal without exploding it all over random stranger's houses on a high school choir tour. Please don't mention any other quirks online that might embarrass me in front of my husband and kids, thank you. But, if they edify and encourage...comment away!

2 comments:

Amy said...

You did a great job! thanks so much for playing. I enjoyed reading the fun and wonderful things that make you you and loved by me. There was much more on that trip, but since you would probably say I couldn't cook mac and cheese (boil water first, then add noodles), I will keep them to myself. I love you!!

Jenn said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I loved reading your quirks - #4 made me laugh out loud when you said "Half of you just gagged".

I loved looking around your blog - what a beautiful family you have!

I'll be back to visit...