home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Call Me




For those of you who have kept up with me at all, you know I go through cell phones like, well, packs of gum or boxes of Girl Scout cookies.


In the past year alone, I have had five phones.


Before you gasp, know that God was telling me to talk less.


I dropped one and the screen broke, not cracked, broke. A big, black hole on the front of my phone made it difficult to see who was calling or who I was calling for that matter.


I got another. A cheapie. After a couple of months, the baby tore it in half. A cheapie.


I got a Cricket. Cheap service on a not so cheap phone. Again, you get what you pay for. Cheap.


I finally bit the bullet. I bought a Blackberry. I could email, organize contacts, take pictures, read blogs. It took me almost six months to get it organized but I almost had it down. I almost had a decent phone book. I almost had a decent address book. Almost.


Then it got run over by a car after the Hannah Montana 3-D concert movie. That sentence in and of itself is stuff for another post. One with Hannah Montana, throw up and my daughters all playing major parts. In all of the excitement, I lost my phone. I didn't even notice until Sunday afternoon. When I called my number, or rather had Julia do it, a strange man answered. We knew him but didn't know that at the time. Like I said, another post.


Bottom line, the phone was found and it was answerable but not usable. It died and couldn't be recharged because you couldn't figure out which button to push to answer the questions the unreadable screen was asking. I ruined another phone.


Luckily, we have learned through this year's experiences to buy the optional insurance. Insurance replaced my phone, for a (not so) small fee and I am up and (sort of) running again.


I have no address book. If you haven't heard from me for awhile, call my cell and leave your number and your name so I know who goes with what number.


If I need to talk to you and I can't find you, look for a message on my blog. Seriously, I just got Amy's numbers less than three weeks ago. Now, they're gone again.


Talk less? God can certainly make a point!


All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23


A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much. Proverbs 20:19


For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. 1 Corinthians 4:20


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29


In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. 1 Timothy 3:11


A wise man's heart guides his mouth... Proverbs 16:23


The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45


And these are only some of the verses on "talk." This list doesn't contain any commands concerning the tongue or words.
Last year God told me in order to focus on the heart, I had to shut my mouth. The discipline that I began cultivating intentionally was solitude. The act of intentional silence. A quiet life.


It took several cell phones, switching servers so that email quit working and a complete change in all areas of my life but the rewards have been overwhelming. Simply focusing on what words come out of our mouths causes blessings to pour from our lips.


Everyday I have the power to change lives by the words I speak. May they always be words of life. May they bring true Life to all who hear.


Talk less.

1 comment:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:14


I am glad you have my number...and that you call me!!!