home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Magic Energy Potion

My husband drinks Red Bull. Says he just likes the taste.

My sister-in-law drinks Red Bull. Says it's like drinking five cups of coffee in that little bitty can.

Me, I like coffee.

I tried Red Bull once when it was first introduced. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. It kind of tasted like a cross between strawberry soda and bubblegum. I didn't really like it. I didn't feel more focused, energetic or hip.

That was that. One fad I could do without...

Until yesterday.

You see, I've been kind of tired lately. Exhausted...fatigued...sluggish...and, well irritable.

Last week moving was difficult. I had no other symptoms except that I could hardly hold my eyes open or concentrate on anything. I had a case of mind funk and body fog. I felt like I was trying to run a marathon...under water! Last Monday I even called Andrew at 4:30 and asked him if he could come home so I could sleep. He did. I slept for over twelve hours without waking up once. It was incredible. Amazing actually. Apparently the children thought of all sorts of interesting tidbits they needed to share with me during those twelve hours. They shared, according to Andrew and I slept.

When I woke up I was still tired, weak, numb in the head. All week life was hard. Exerting energy on any task was difficult. Cleaning, a near impossibility. Talking, too much work. All week my gestures were poor and my words were short. I was desperately trying to overcome this funky, sluggish state and miserably failing.

I tried to make myself drink more coffee. But it just didn't really taste good. I was too tired to drink it!

Yesterday I got fed up with being tired.

I decided to fight the foggy mind mush...with caffeine. I was actually feeling a little more peppy in the morning by by 3:00 I needed a Diet Coke. We didn't have any. But, alas, we had Red Bull.

I drank one.

I cleaned the house. I began the kids homework. My brain function was returning. So I drank another. I made it through the night triumphantly. I stayed up long enough to complete the evening routine and visit with Andrew a little bit.

This afternoon at 2:00 I stopped to measure my day's performance so far. It was fair. I had washed and folded six loads of clothes but none were put away. I had vacuumed the floor but not mopped. I definitely needed a Red Bull. After all, all four kids had been at school all day. My day was only about to begin! I indulged.

I picked up the boys, headed to HEB, picked up the girls, got three kids haircuts, fixed snacks, put the groceries away, put the clothes away, checked my email, bathed the kids, helped the girls clean their rooms, I mean really clean and it was only 6:15! I had time to listen to Alyssa read her home reader and help Julia with her report on Pocahontas...All while sipping on another Red Bull.

I love this marvelous little can of magic potion.

Pure energy in a cute little can.

Amazing, miraculous and awesome! It has cured my tiredness. It has cleaned my house. I am now thinking of putting up the Christmas tree...tomorrow. Even the outside lights that have seemed so daunting sound like fun. I love Red Bull! My family loves Red Bull too. They love having me back in action!

I know what this little can of super power is doing for my house (and I love it).

But, what's it doing to my body?

Anybody know?

2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Here are two different reports

I don't know how much caffeine Red Bull has in it...I would not drink more than one a day.

Well, upon inspecting the ingredients and doing some research, which wasn’t hard working as a bulk vitamin distributor, I found that the Red Bull wings reference may be more geared to mental well being than to actual body energy. At least this may be the case with Taurine. As it turns out, Taurine is an amino acid that is used in our body for a number of activities. A couple of which are to act as a neural regulator, and to protect heart function. Substantial amounts of Taurine are also found in our eyes and stomach bile. There is no doubt that Taurine is beneficial, but I could not find any data that indicated it would give you an energy boost.
"Caffeine is the most widely consumed drug in the world," says Bruce Goldberger, Ph.D., a toxicologist at the University of Florida College of Medicine, who recently conducted a study that identified the high caffeine contents of energy drinks. "And it’s addictive," he adds. While millions of people across the globe safely consume caffeine on a daily basis, Griffiths and Goldberger caution that it can cause health problems, especially in patients who suffer from anxiety or hypertensive disease. Caffeine can also present challenges to children who are extra sensitive to caffeine and cannot easily gauge their own reactions. For this reason, both scientists would like the Food and Drug Administration to require vendors to list the caffeine content on soft drinks.

and

The FDA has long suggested that soda makers limit caffeine to no more than 65 milligrams per 12-ounce serving. Yet energy drinks often have twice the amount of caffeine of a regular cola, Goldberger says (see below). A few brands do suggest a limit to the number of energy drinks any one person should consume in a day, and caution that pregnant women, children and people sensitive to caffeine should abstain.

Renee Heaton said...

I don't know what it does but that is one reason I stopped drinking Diet Coke and that wasn't because of the caffeine!