home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Blog Stalkers







I'm outing myself today.


I stalk certain blogs.


There are people I kind of know. You know what I mean. They are friends of friends. Intriguing people who we want to know all about so we stalk their blogs to get "involved" in their lives. Holy cow! This is almost like Internet dating or cyber-stalking. God, help me!


In light of being reminded that being a Christian is all about relating not just hiding behind a computer screen (Kudos to Kathryn who has this down), I have decided to change the way I blog. Why?


Last night I went to U Paint It.


No, I did not paint. The stress of paying $20 for a cross that I would most likely mess up by trying to paint leopard spots on was too overwhelming. I decided I could have a stress-free evening making my friends laugh, go to Hobby Lobby, buy the cross for less than half the price and everyone would be a winner. Those of you who know me well know that I have wonderful, creative visions, including painting bathroom walls, that turn out much less than I would have imagined in person! I know, I know art is a blank canvas and we just keep putting stuff on it until it looks good...maybe I'll paint next time.


Anyway, I saw this cute, little girl who looked totally familiar. I just kept thinking I knew her. I couldn't quite put my finger on it and I think I should know all cute girls in town because that's just who I am. I stared and smiled and stared and smiled but never introduced myself. I mean, who does that? Interrupts a great, pottery-painting date to say, "Ummmm, I think I may know you."


When I woke up at 4 AM, because that's what I do, it hit me. "I know her from Heather's blog!" It was cute, little, pregnant-again Kirby who has the cutest, baby-in-a-pumpkin ever!


A little clicking around this morning, introductions made and I have a new friend! Not just a cyber friend. This is a really great thing for a couple of reasons. I need a baby fix and she's having a baby, a sure to be too cute baby judging from her boy. Also, I just may need some fashion advice concerning leggings and this century and according to Heather she's got the 411 on current fashions, especially when you can't decide what shoes.


I also found this website yesterday through Ross (who I used to know in college way back when Breakaway wasn't alive yet) King's wife, Staci (who I've not met yet) blog. www.prayforkyle.com This story touched my heart because I was a little three-pound preemie who lost weight down to two-pounds and grew up! What this family is going through right now reminds me of all the stories my parents have told me my whole life. So click on it and pray for baby Kyle.


The lesson I learned is that if we don't "out" ourselves in the blogosphere, we are not relating to one another in authentic friendship like Jesus commands us. We are like creepy cyber-stalking freaks who have no life and the reality is we have the best Life of all. Let's share that life together by commenting.


"The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;

I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me." (John 17:22-23)

Isn't that cool? We can become completed in unity with one another and with Christ through blogging! We just have to blog differently than the secretly cyber-stalking world.


So, share it in a blog or a comment but do it out loud, in person when you meet on the streets too.
Who has encountered other bloggers in "real life"? What did you say and is there really a un-self-conscious way to tell someone that you stalk their blog?
"Hey, I read your blog!"
Carlos Carpio said that to me and now, I think he's even cooler than I did before and way gutsier than me.
And remember, it really doesn't make you weird if you know someone through Heather's blog because lots and lots of cool people with lots and lots of things in common read it!

After all, isn't it the greatest, heartwarming compliment when someone tells you they read and enjoy your blog? I love knowing the words of my heart are not disappearing into the deep, blue yonder, but being used by Christ to edify, encourage and entertain others.

So, be looking for my comments!

12 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Woo Hoo...way to out yourself!!! I am proud of you.

The cyber world will now be even more blessed because you have so many wonderful things to say.

Keep your heart going, I missed your posts a lot on your one month sebatical!!!!

Hendrick Family said...

You go! I'm so glad you met Kirby. She's even more precious in real life, isn't she!

I miss you, Lisa!

Heather

Kirby said...

Ha...you're so funny. We are friends now!

It's so much easier to hide behind the computer and say, "I stalk your blog," than it is to say it in person, huh? What is wrong with us?

I'm glad that you outed yourself and me!

the Apels said...

Oh, and you can so come hold my baby next summer! I welcome anyone with wisdom and experience to come sit on my couch. Or maybe you should try for #5 since you make such adorable kids!

Kirby

lisasmith said...

Okay, I miss you girls, too. All three of you that just commented! Maybe we should go garage selling some Saturday. Julia's been begging me to go. Next time you go, call me.

Renee Heaton said...

Ok, so I admit it! I am a blog stalker too. Probably because nobody else I know at all besides you has a blog. Can you believe that? No one else in the entire universe. That is lonely indeed. But, even when I try to reach out -- nobody answers. I guess that's why I AM content to be a blog stalker. And, I have to say I'm a pretty good one too!

Renee Heaton said...

BTW, I loved the picture on this post. But, is she naked??!!

lisasmith said...

Holy cow, Naked?!! She's a cartoon. Seriously, I thought I was safe with this photo. sheese! Internet photos.

lisasmith said...

Oh,and I feel your pain when your stalking comments go unanswered...But keep on stalking and commenting from time to time. :) The funny thing is I really don't know most of these bloggers I link to all that well either. But, now I'm out and it feels so good!

Renee Heaton said...

No, seriously I was joking on the naked part (I think!)

Love you too!

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I don't know about the gym. I will have to see what our schedule is tomorrow. 4 is definately too late maybe a little earlier.

Rose Ann Coffey said...

Okay. I admit. I am the worst. I am convicted. From now on I will post just to let bloggers know I have passed their way. I agree. It is not only taking time to blog, taking to read other blogs but taking time to build relationships through blogging.