home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Grandparents and Ducks

A few weeks ago I got a wonderful opportunity to go visit my grandparents.

I just wanted to take a post to say how thankful I am for them. Some of my best childhood memories include them. They always did a wonderful job of making the holidays fun and family centered. They are the steadiness of the Mitchell family. They are always there, always together.

Grandmother and Papa are like peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese. They just go together. They are two of the most special people in my life. I've said before that they gave me stability when I needed it most.


Grandmother has a way of just making me feel loved with one hug. Of course, the hug always includes a Bit of Honey, chocolate chip cookie or piece of bubble gum. Papa has always made me feel like a special girl. I loved this visit. Although it was brief, it was a chance to get caught up and love my grandparents.
The boys loved feeding the ducks. They go straight to the freezer to get the bread Grandmother saves for this purpose. Then they go straight to the bridge to find the ducks.

Palmer is at that magical age where each of my kids has tried to stick their head through the bars of this bridge.


Hunter actually succeeded.


His head slipped through the bars just as Alyssa had a potty accident and Julia fell into the pond. My grandmother, in her very practical, no-nonsense way headed straight toward the house to get the Vaseline to squeeze anad slide his slippery head out from between those bars. My mother, in her flair for the dramatic grabbed her cell phone to dial 9-1-1.


I wasn't there that time but got a great big, belly laugh just listening to the escapades.


I love it!


Oh, the memories...
A special thanks to Daddy for doing this with the girls so the boys and I could have a special trip!

2 comments:

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

We don't see you near enough. Thanks for the kind words. It always makes one feel good to be appreciated. I think Jesus was a hugger. A hug says it all.

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Praise Jesus that you have family to do that with...I am so glad you had a special time.