home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, June 28, 2007

My Pet Daughter

Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day. Psalm 139:13-16 The Message

I have three pets.



Two dogs and a daughter.



A daughter who thinks she should be an animal.




She can pretend to be any type of animal from a snake to an elephant with great detail, enthusiasm and completeness.





Her most fervent prayer for the last several months has been that God would turn her into an animal. She actually prays that she would no longer be human!






I know some of you have children who love animals, want to be veterinarians, even some who love animals so much they are vegetarians. This is very impressive to our family. We like our meat!






My daughter loves animals so much, she wants to be one.




She quit wearing pretty bows in her hair because, "Lemurs don't wear bows." No, Alyssa would never be a circus monkey that dresses up and wears bows. She wants to be a lemur who lives in the forest with other types of monkeys and wild animals. She doesn't even want to be a girls lemur, but a boy lemur.






She knows that God made her a girl. She knows that she cannot become a lemur but in her words, "It for sure can't happen without a prayer."




This summer my girl has been a beaver. She slept in a laundry basket stuffed with pillows for several weeks. She crawled everywhere and we were to refer to her as "Pet Beaver." As long as I referred to her as my pet beaver she was quite happy and amiable.






While we were at the swimming pool she crawled around (don't gross out) eating her fruit snacks off the floor. She sat in my lap and licked my hands the whole time. When it was time to go I asked "Puppy Alyssa" to get out and dry off. She refused her towel saying, "Puppies don't use towels." She then proceeded to get down on all fours and shake off like a dog. This was really cute.





Her latest animal obsession has been a rat. She is still sleeping in the laundry basket but now under that pillow is junk. I'm talking happy meal toys, trash, old pencils, etc. When I cleaned out her basket and asked her what all that stuff was, she replied, "Mom, I'm a rat and that's my nest." She then continued to explain how rats collect anything they can find, usually trash, to make a nest out of so they can have a home in which to live.






If she were to be an animal she would be a funny one. The other night when we were at Fajita Willy's the waitress brought us the steaming, hissing, sizzling fajitas. Alyssa exclaimed over the steam, "Wow! Those cows are really dead!" The girl knows her animals!






When it was time to eat eggs, which she doesn't like that much, she just pretended to be a snake that eats turtle eggs so she would like to eat eggs. She, of course, knew the name of the snake and where it was found and that it likes turtle eggs. I can't remember the name of the snake, don't know how to pronounce it and can't believe that my child is so knowledgeable about animals. Really this knowledge seems innate. I seriously don't know this stuff! She has a great imagination! I mean who else would cry real tears over the fact that they will always be human and never be an animal? Who else?




We are learning some lessons in God's sovereignty. We are learning that He does not make mistakes. We are learning that He has an awesome purpose for this very human little girl. We are learning to give thanks for the things we don't understand. Even the things that make us human!

I love my pet daughter!

6 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I love your pet daughter too!!

Praise God for childlike faith, that they TRULY believe God can do this for them...and we know He can, if He can make a donkey talk!!!

Alex likes to say "when I grow up I am going to be... (insert animal). A few weeks ago we were in the car and he looked out the window and said when he grows up he is going to be a squirrel.

Michael proceeded to tell him that he could not be a squirrel. He said with so much faith and determination the he really could!!!

I love it.

Renee Heaton said...

She sleeps in a basket? Really? No pictures?

lisasmith said...

There are no pictures because I've fallen behind on picture duty but I promise some soon.

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

I thought after she caught so many little frogs here at Chambrel she would come home jumping like a frog. She is so cute. Hugs

Angie Love said...

I just can't get this out of my mind! I smile every time I think of your precious pet daughter! I even had Mark read about her!!

lisasmith said...

First of all, Grandmother, she DID come home jumping like a frog. We now have 13 frogs in our little fountain! When I told Alyssa they needed to live outside because frogs couldn't live inside the house, her response was that there was one frog living inside the house...HER!

Angie, She is one that will stay in your mind, an active, dramatic picture! She knows and loves her animals for sure. I couldn't even write about some of the animals she pretends to be because I've never heard of them before!