home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Recitals and Graduations

May brings the end of school.

My kids suddenly get a year older.

They get on stage for awards, promotions and performances.
I cry.
This week we've had performances galore.


The girls danced at school in a Spanish dance performance called Cri Cri. Both girls were rabbits. They were precious and had so much fun!


Julia celebrated five years of dance this year with a special trophy and a special part in her dance recital. We had fun with special friends and special costumes. It seems like only yesterday the itchy costumes were almost too much and there was a struggle to do her own make-up. I guess the next time I blink, she will be doing her own make-up!


Alyssa graduated from Kindergarten.


The ceremony was so cute. They all took a graduation picture in a maroon cap and gown. The teachers went to lots of trouble to wash their faces and comb their hair before snapping the photos too. It was very thoughtful and professional!
We've had lice alerts regularly at the school. Alyssa has asked me a ton of questions concerning these bugs and where they live and how they get there.
In short, she refused to have her picture made in the cap and gown due to germs. When the teacher told her to put on the gown and cap, she replied, "No, thank you, it's too germy." Grandma would be proud. The handwashing police would be proud. Seriously, she wasn't even the only one who refused the cap and gown. The lice have been defeated!

My baby girl is going into first grade. How can this be? She is writing, reading, adding and subtracting. I don't want to close my eyes for fear I'll miss some of their growing up!

What precious memories in the month of May!

13 comments:

Renee Heaton said...

Beth is out of school on Thursday and I have the same thoughts as well. Where does the time go? And, what am I going to do with this really long summer this year? I hope we get to see you guys!

Nancy Coppock said...

They grow up so quickly. My youngest nephew graduates on Saturday. I can't believe time has passed so quickly. Train them up in the way they should go in these next brief years. I read in a mission's magazine that teenager's brains are fuzzy because of the sloughing off of dead cells on the surface. Well, that explains a lot. But it made me think of the wisdom that God teaches us by comparing each of us to a vine that must be trained by the vine dresser. He clips off those dead limbs and even those limbs with plenty of leaves but no fruit. It appears that science now reveals that each of our brains are being tended by the Divine Husband.

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Love the bandaid on forehead. That is so Alyssa, some things will never change!!
They do grow up so fast. Tell them both Miss. Kathryn is very proud of them.
They look so beautiful!!

Cherie said...

Sweet! We're having May with its shutting down, stitching up, putting-her-away-for-the-summer stuff, too.

Whew!

Enjoyed this glimpse, Lisa.

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Oh my goodness, I went back and looked at the pictures again. The one of Celeste with Julia...she looks JUST like Cindy. Wow

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

I really enjoy the pictures. The children grow so fast.I like the news,too. Keep blogging - it is all so meaningful. Hugs

Pam said...

Hi Lisa - I enjoyed catching up on your blog after so many days away. Good for Alyssa - I "got" lice from school once and it was a nightmare -- it ultimately ended up with me getting my long hair cut off. Maybe the products have improved since then...?

Ann said...

I think you & I sometimes read the same blogs, so I thought I'd drop by. Lovely photos! I remember those end-of-the-school-year occasions....AND those pesky lice!

The Peahen said...

I am so sad that we are so far away! The girls were looking at your blog with me and I had to go way back for them to recognize the kids. They don't understand that everyone is growing up & how their friends are changing as they grow. We miss you guys so much! Everyone looks great!

lisasmith said...

Thanks to everyone for stopping by. We are super busy, drowning in summer...and rain. Thank you all for reading and encouraging me.

And, Ann, super thanks for checking out my blog. I had a glance at yours and will have to go back when I have more time.

Lizza said...

The pictures are so great...and YOU are absolutely beautiful in the photo where you are wearing pearls.

The children are growing up so quickly, as Nancy mentioned. But the future probably will be a blessing for all of you and those you touch ... all because of the Lord and because of the wonderful family life and training the children are receiving now.

lisasmith said...

Lizza--Again, thanks for your encouraagement. Have fun on your walk today!

JungWoo Hong said...

Julia,Alyssa!
Congratulations!!
I miss you very much!!
Palmer looks like a big boy.
Can you come to my house?

Jungwoo