home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Do-overs


If I had it to do over again, I'd do it all over again.

I'd wake up one Valentine's Day and realize that I missed Andrew and wanted to be with him the next Valentine's Day and every future Valentine's Day. That's how I spent Valentine's Day 1997. We were married in August of that year and have celebrated every Valentine's Day (and every other day) together since.

Dreams do come true!

I had gone home to my mom's house to go to a friend's wedding. While there, I realized that I should have invited Andrew. I missed him! I realized that I could be and was falling for him.

I realized that I wanted someone to do for me on Valentine's Day what he did for me all the time.

I loved it when he had sunflowers delivered to me because he listened when we passed a gift shop that had a zillion sunflowers inside it.

I loved it when he did things for me that I was too busy to do.

I loved it when he bought a Resurrection Week t-shirt to me when I was working at the mall and couldn't get one for myself.

I loved it when he bought me a gift certificate to get earrings because I lost one when we were at lunch the day before and I was upset about it.

I loved it when he bought a bag of Hershey's miniatures and put all the dark chocolates in my stocking at Christmas because he heard me say I liked it the best.

I loved it when he took me to an Elton John concert because he knew I loved the Lion King song, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight."

I loved it when he brought me red roses because they meant love and pink roses because they're my favorite color.

I loved it when he bought me a box of Valentine's chocolates because I had always wanted one.

I loved it when he surprised me with a Nora Jones CD because I think she's the most romantic singer ever.

I loved it when he "mailed" me a gift certificate to the mall because I took an online survey, thus quadrupling my spam emails, in a feeble attempt to win one.

I love all the other million things he does to surprise me that I'm not mentioning here.
I also love and appreciate all the things he's given up in order to be the husband and father God has called him to be.
He only plays basketball one night each week now instead of every night.
He no longer buys himself Cd's or DVDs on a regular basis.
He drives an older car than he'd like and doesn't have the freedom to shop as much he was accustomed to ten years ago.
Although he loves to travel, he's limited to a weekend get-a way to Galveston here and there and has grown to appreciate any special vacations that we may be fortunate enough to take.
He had the dream of retiring at 30 and now works long, hard hours each day even though 30 has come...and gone.
He truly embodies the definition of the one who possesses "no greater love."
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Andrew has laid down his life today and every other day to support and love this lady and their precious family. With Jesus Christ as the ultimate example, he leads his family and lays down his life continuously for me...for us...his friends. I'm sure he would say every sacrifice has been worth it but every sacrifice has also been appreciated.
Not only do I appreciate the sacrifices made each day of the year. I value the surprises that come today as much as the surprises that came over ten years ago.

I know one of Andrew's favorite things about having children is experiencing the joy of surprising them. Just a regular trip to the grocery store can be unusually fun and exciting if he sees something that is a "perfect fit" for one of them.

Last week the children each got a huge stuffed animal for an early Valentine's present because he walked past the giant pink and purple unicorn that looked like Alyssa needed to own it.

I love this trait in the man I love...especially when I am on the receiving end of it!

He loves surprises. He says I always ruin them. I ask too many questions. Then I guess and guess until I guess the surprise. It doesn't matter if I know what it is or not...I love all his surprises too...lots.

This Valentine's Day I am thinking back to that Valentine's Day ten years ago and rejoicing that today I am not alone. I am giving thanks that today I am with Andrew and our family. I am remembering all the things that made me fall in love with him ten years ago and adding all the things he's done since then to the list.

I'm trying not to ask questions so that he can enjoy doing all the surprising. I'm trying to take a few lessons from him and do some surprising myself. However, he will always be the master of surprises and I a mere student.

I love how he's taught me that sometimes the joy of the gift is to learn to appreciate how hard the giver sought to make the gift a perfect match to you, its recipient. I love that he finds so much joy in giving. I love that I get to receive it.

I love surprises.
I'd do this all over again...wake up one Valentine's Day and miss Andrew.

I wonder what surprises are in store for this Valentine's Day...

1 comment:

Kathryn Berilla said...

I am praying wonderful surprises for you all year long.

Love you.

Oh and if I had to do it all over again, I would listen to God and come up and talk to you!!!