home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sixty-Five Years


Sixty-five years ago my Grandmother and Papa got married.

Sixty-five years of marriage.

Sixty-five years of family.

Sixty-five years of love.

Sixty-five years ago that handsome baseball player with the broken leg hobbled through the park and saw the loveliest sight he had ever laid eyes on...my grandmother.

He soon learned that she was not only beautiful but smart, determined, hard-working, serving and loyal.

It seemed only natural that she would be drawn to him. He needed help. She helps everyone.

He was also more than a ball player. He was hard-working, smart, witty, sensitive and responsible.

They got married.

They survived a war while oceans apart.

They adjusted to life after the war.

They built a lovely home with a beautiful and bountiful garden.

They raised four children.

They are still enjoying retirement. They travel together, play bridge together and serve in their church.

They are now surrounded by grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

They have staying power. Sixty-five years worth of staying power.

Throughout my life, I've endured many times of instability.

When my parents divorced and I needed stability, I could go to their house. The routine never changed. Every night dinner was eaten at 5:30, homemade by my Grandmother, enjoyed by my Papa.

Every Friday night, TV with apples and popcorn and an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors. The flavor changed from time to time, from mint chocolate chip to pink bubblegum, but the routine never changed.

Saturday morning breakfast of fried eggs and a noontime meal of hamburgers.

It's still the same. The smoothness of their household routine never changed...has never changed.

The stability of their marriage never changed. The steadiness of their love never changed.

They are people who have demonstrated that love is a choice. It is a choice worth making and marriage is a promise worth keeping.

Through the ups and downs of life they have stayed together. Their marriage has lasted. They have lasting power, staying power.

They've established a legacy of faith, of love, of laughter and of service.

It reaches from coast to coast. From Oregon to Maryland and many places in between their sons and daughters are living their legacy.

It's large.

It's lasting.

It's strong.

Sixty-five years strong.

Happy Anniversary, Grandmother and Papa, I am so thankful for you and your legacy! I love you!!! XOXO

2 comments:

Kathryn Berilla said...

That is amazing. I pray for many more of God's blessings.

Whitney said...

lees, thank you for your amazing God-inspired words in Deep Revelation! That was INCREDIBLE! Totally touched my life, i'm still digesting it!

We are doing Lot's wife this week, and your simple words are still resounding in my heart. Thank you, dear dear friend!

Also, i need your email address so I can send you the pics of Palmer! They are due Feb. 5th, so we have to get on it!

I love you!