home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 19, 2007

Sisters and Chores


"...for you are receiving the goal of your faith..." (1 Peter 1:9b)

My girls wanted to go the "in" parents-night-out for all cool elementary aged children. A night at the gymnastics place. Fun, food and flips all night for $25 a person.

I told them that they had to earn it and that they had to both earn it. I wouldn't let one of them go alone. My girls would brave the great-big-gymnastics-world together! This was more for my peace of mind than anything else.

They folded and put away clothes, cleaned and organized their bedrooms and bit their tongues when they wanted to argue. It still wasn't earning them enough.

Then came Super Daddy to the rescue!!!

Andrew brought a HUGE box of postcards home. All they had to do was stamp each one. He was placing them on a salary of 25 cents per roll of stamps.

If Julia has inherited anything from her father, it is the entrepreneurial spirit. She got Hunter working for them by telling him if he gave her his quarters, she would give him a piece of candy for each one. She knows that boy loves chocolate!

So the three of them began work, fast, furious...short. Five minutes and Hunter was tired. I think he stamped three postcards. He was in bed asleep before the first roll was finished!

Alyssa might have done ten postcards. I heard her say, "Julia, I guess I'm not going to be able to go. This is too much work."

What Julia heard Alyssa saying was that she was giving up, calling it quits, resigning to forget the goal. The effect on Julia was to prove to Alyssa nothing is impossible.

Julia started working even harder and even faster. She tells her sister, "Don't worry, Alyssa, I'll make enough for both of us."

Talk about a proud moment. Julia was so determined to make money, she believed she could make $50. She was willing to do all of Alyssa's work when Alyssa couldn't do it. She was willing to share what she made with her sister.

Well, Julia actually made about $17. We, of course, rewarded them for their huge effort.
They had what they still refer to as "the best party ever!!!"

I had a wonderful week just watching them keep their goal in sight and working together, being overly kind to each other every minute of every day.

We, too, are to live each day with a goal in sight...finishing strong, living life by faith.

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter 1:9)

We live each day with our goal of seeing Jesus one day before us. We rely on the power of the Holy Spirit and the free gift of salvation because what we do is not enough to save ourselves.

Because He made a way for us to receive the impossible...forgiveness of sins and a restored, righteous relationship with God..."we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved." (Hebrews 10:39)

3 comments:

Kathryn Berilla said...

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
Acts 20:24

I pray that we can all be as determined as Julia!!!

Renee Heaton said...

And I pray that I can actually finish a task....help me Lord!

texasmcvays said...

What a cool day! Little Julia doing all things through Christ...:) Kyle