home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, January 01, 2007

Old Year...Old Stuff; New Year...New Stuff


"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done." (Psalm 105:1)

Well, by stuff, I mean challenges...achievements...that kind of stuff, well, resolutions...sort of. I don't care too much for traditional New Year's Resolutions because they are almost always things people should be doing anyway. For example, we should all eat healthy, take care of our bodies, exercise regularly and live within a healthy weight range. We should all focus on relationships and make them top priority in our lives. We should all look for creative outlets and strive to increase our knowledge base on a regular basis.

I tend to "save" resolutions for things that are fun, bonuses in life...like scrapbooking. In the grand scheme of things does it matter if my scrapbooks are cutsie with a theme? Not really, the goal is to have a record of our family history. So, scrapbooking was my 2006 resolution. I did it!


Speaking of 2006, let's celebrate some of the greats...the moments...let's not forget to remember. "Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done." (Psalm 105:1)


February...Palmer. February 14, Valentine's Day, 2006 will be one of my greatest. Little Palmer Jett made his debut into this world. What a gift of love.

We had some great times around our home too. Andrew and I attempted a major update here at the Smith casa. New floors, paint, landscaping and a few pieces of furniture made the home that we've lived in for over 8 years uniquely ours. It was a busy and fun, fun, fun process.

My baby girl, Alyssa started Kindergarten this fall. What a moment to see her so grown up and to say, "Please, don't walk me into the school...I can do it by myself!!!" With school came getting up and getting dressed each day...in her own words, "I made clothes my friend." Huge.

My Hunter boy, he now sleeps in a big boy bed, goes potty in the big potty and is a big brother in addition to little.

Julia became closer in age to the teenager-like persona she possesses and fell in love with sports...soccer and basketball. She is now becoming responsible for completing her own weekly homework assignments and reading in English and Spanish.

So, none of these things were even remotely resolutions, but challenges, opportunities, events and milestones. Each accomplished with grace and praise from and to God. The year that had seemingly mundane moments mixed in with the miraculous was meaningful and full because God has blessed this family abundantly. So, the new, the things that must be done in 2007, the things that will be done in 2007, the things that will be tried in 2007...we give God praise in advance for those opportunities, challenges, milestones and events. We ask God for wisdom in how we handle these opportunities to be made more like Him. "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity..." (Ephesians 5:15 & 16a)

But, even if I don't call these newly presented obstacles resolutions, they are new. They are challenges. They are stuff.

The stuff 2007 is going to be made of (or at least start off looking like) has presented itself.

Palmer will take on walking, running, speaking words, eating table food, drinking from a cup and many other things with the wonder and joy of a carefree child.

Hunter will learn to color between the lines, write his name, play teeball among many things as an energetic three-turning-four-year-old boy. He will master them all with determination and wit.

Alyssa will learn to read...in English and Spanish. She will learn to spell by herself and write her own humorous stories. She will complete weekly homework, bring home readers home and have her first cavity filled.

Julia will play basketball on a team, go to overnight Summer camp, learn to spell in Spanish and get number grades at school.

Andrew will learn to manage family (mainly, me) as employees and look for creative ways to increase business while working with me. Did I mention he will become my boss at the office?

I will become a real estate agent. Actually, I have been one for quite some time, but I will learn more about the business as I begin to help my husband by trying to sell houses at our office.

I'm sure many more opportunities, challenges, obstacles and stuff will present themselves...my prayer is that we will make the most of each opportunity.

"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity..." (Ephesians 5:15 & 16a)

Happy New Year from the Smiths!



2 comments:

lisasmith said...

New Year already and Alyssa's learned to tie a shoe. We will rise to meet the challenges!

Kathryn Berilla said...

I love all of the challenges because that means we are growing.

I look forward to 2007!!!