home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Making Mudpies

Jump rope, four-square, mudpies...my three favorite things about elementary school.
I actually held the Double Dutch record for a week in fifth grade!
Four-square games that lasted for a week's worth of recess were super exciting until our teacher banned the same four people from taking up the same four squares for more than 10 minutes...what a bummer that was! Equal rights and rotation schedules were soon coordinated by the bossy chick in Ms. McMahan's class...I wasn't the only one...honest!

But mudpies...they belong in their own category.
The joys of mudpie making were confined only to my best friend Tracy Malone's presence. Her grandmother, Ninny, who lived across the street from me, set up a super-mega, deluxe, luxury backyard kitchen...all for the purpose of mudpie making. There were bowls, spoons, containers, shakers, bottles, jars, pans, shovels and dirt...lots and lots of dirt.

We would dig and dig and dig...sift and water and stir and pat until the ooey, gooey black slimey mixture was perfectly round, perfectly smooth, perfectly garnished (with leaves, berries and grass). Then we'd let it dry in the sun...revel in our delicious-looking work...wonder why it couldn't be real food...and start over again!

These are some of the best memories I have as a child...Here, at Ninny's house I was free to be a kid...to create something...make a big dirty, filthy mess and laugh...and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Julia recently had mudpie day at school...mudpies at school...what a revolutionary idea...how exciting...her original work-of-art...divine! The kids had so much fun celebrating the letter "m" and making mudpies...and they laughed and laughed and laughed. They had such a great time getting messy...mixing...measuring...and making magnificent masterpieces they could be proud of...from dirt!

That's when I saw it...something we sweep away...throw away...trash...even annoying tiny little specks of trash that no matter how much I sweep is still ever-present on my kitchen floor...dirt...could be made beautiful in the eyes of the beholder...

Webster's defines behold as "Look! See!"
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have been passed away; behold, all things have become new." IICorinthians 5:17
Let Him behold you and make you new.
Even a mudpie is beautiful to the one who beholds it.

1 comment:

Kathryn Berilla said...

Praise the Lord I am a new creation in Christ.

Now I need to be a new creation in mudpies.

I say we get all our kids together and make mudpies.

I was never allowed to as a child because "it made too much of a mess"