home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, September 15, 2006

Look Who's Bloggin' Now


Why do I love blogging?

I love THAT word! Blog, blog, blog. I have a blog. Doesn't that sound cool? All of my really cool friends have one. By really cool, I mean younger. I can remember when there was no such word as blog. Blog was a nonsense word, a word you could only find in a Dr. Seuss book. Now, it's a real word, a real activity, a real thing.

I also don't just love the word blog; I just love words. I love to say them (an understatement some would say), to feel them rolling off my tongue, to hear them inside my head fighting to come to an understanding of sense, to see them on paper and to read them. Anyway, words are in my blood. Really...

My maternal grandfather, a master storyteller, loves humor. It comes across in every conversation, each letter, constant joking...He never forgets the punchline!

My grandmother, an autobiographical poet, truly, writing of her deepest experiences in rhythm, rhyme and prose.

My mother has every paper, speech and thought she has ever recorded organized and filed away...Where she can find it!

My father can hold an audience captive with his lively, descriptive, creative and entertaining language!

My aunts, uncles and cousins are masters; they write, preach, sing and any other craft involving words.

Because I love words so much, one might say they are God's gift to me. I have felt the tug of God on my heart to write. But because of what I do all day, as Stasi Eldredge,author of Captivating, said in a recent magazine article, I am in a season of "wiping" noses, bottoms, cabinets, floors, you name it, I wipe it hourly on a daily basis. I can easily be too busy in the day to day living of life to pursue the gifts that make me who I am. Last week I decided I needed to "practice" writing, God's gift to me...blogging.

After deciding to probably, hopefully, sometime to start a blog, Sunday's sermon was on vision.

The pastor gave an analogy of a farmer who planted his crops then got up day after day to sit on his porch and pray that God would give him a great harvest without doing any more work. Although it is God who ultimately sends sun, wind and rain necessary to produce a crop, the farmer is responsible for far more than only planting seed.

This blog is an attempt to keep on working the fields of my gifting, so to speak. Instead of letting these words roll around in my head and in my heart without ever actually being heard...I blog.

I don't want to be like the servant in Matthew 25 who had his talent(money) taken away by his master because he was afraid to invest it. I want a return on what God has given me!

I can now see that when the season of wiping is over, I may or may not remember who I am without wiping. I want to remember who I am and know who I am becoming. I am a person, called by God to use my gifts to bring glory to His name. I want to be found worthy of this calling I have received.

..."I want you to get out there and walk--better yet, run!--on the road God called you to travel. I don't want any of you sitting on your hands..."
Ephesians 4:1, The Message
So, here's to happy writing...I mean, blogging!

9 comments:

freemans4jc said...

I am constantly amazed at the Hendricks "BLOG"~ I'm excited that I can now be amazed with yours too! Pictures, give me pictures. It is such unfamiliar terriotory for me and my family!
I think we are definately starting to feel the desire to "BLOG"...wonder how you do it?
I'm doing good, with the help of Sydni, to leave a comment!

Keep blogging girlfriend, we love it!

lisasmith said...

Cindy, thanks for being my first official visitor! There are no pictures yet, because I don't know how yet!!! I am also the people who went to school (including college) when the internet was not yet invented! You are fortunate to have Sydni...does she know who to post a picture? Anyway, I will learn in my "spare"time!!! I love you!

Kathryn Berilla said...

Lisa

I am so excited and so proud of you. God will bless your obedience and I so look forward to seeing how He will use you. You are definately blessed with the ability to write and speak. I love that we are part of each others lives and I love the season we are in. Keep wiping and blogging!!

freemans4jc said...

OK my sweet girlfriend, I don't get to see you much anymore, I miss you. I'm depending on this blogging business....Give me more!

Kathryn Berilla said...

Yes, more. I am praying that God gives you the time to write. He has given you the gift, so he will provide the way!!!
Love you. Miss you.

Chandra said...

I absolutely loved reading your blog this evening! What an inspiring family you have! And, what an awesome God we have that will help you along in this journey of yours! I know how you are feeling now in days with the "wiping" issue. I too am there! Its funny. I wrote down in my "blog" today how "lost" I feel in my own identity! I love you and am excited to read more!

lisasmith said...

Chandra Bell,

(I'm saying your whole name because I like it!) Please give me your blog site again...I didn't even know what one was when you sent it before! I mean, I really just started checking my email regularly a few months ago! I'd love to read what you have to say.

Keep asking the Author of your identity; He knows us better than we could ever know ourselves! I love you and am praying with you!

Stampingsister said...

You are my inspiration. I miss our weekly correspondance like when we were in college. You are a fabulous writer. God has definetly filled you with words. I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Thanks for being willing to share them with the world. I know God will bles you.I love you and miss you tons. Keep "wiping" that beautiful family you have.

wilhelmine mitchell said...

Lisa I'm always amazed at how much smarter the grandchildren are today. Your Blog was really good. I love you and I'll try to read your blog everyday.Hugs